Tuesday, July 2, 2013

DIY: Body Wrap Tutorial

I don't know about you but I get a little paranoid during swimsuit season.
It seems like there are so many toned, tanned, cellulite-free people out there!
But I am not one of them.
It takes me some time to get up the courage to reveal
The Twin White Dolphins (aka: my thighs) in public.

 But here's a little secret I've learned that makes baring it more bearable. =)
Just in time for the Fourth of July,
I give you: THE DIY BODY WRAP!

My good friend Rosa told me this is what she does the night before she'll be in a swimsuit.
You can do it on your stomach, thighs, upper arms, even neck; wherever your “trouble spots” are.
The idea behind this is to help your body release water that’s retained due to weather, food consumption; even Mother Nature’s visits. ;) I've known high school wrestlers who use a similar technique before tournaments in order to "make weight".
The combination of lotion and plastic helps sweat out retained water.

You only need 3 things:
  • Lotion (it's best if it contains something from the ocean: seaweed, kelp, mud. I couldn't find any, so I just used what I had on-hand. I've even heard that PrepH works well!)
  • Plastic wrap
  • Bandage
 
It’s a simple process!
 
Step 1 – Apply a thick layer of lotion to the area you want to target. {Don't rub it in completely!} You can do it on your stomach, your thighs, your upper arms, wherever your “trouble spots” are.
 
Step 2 – Wrap the ENTIRE area with your plastic wrap. I went all the way around my mid-section several times. Make it snug but not tight; you do have to wear it ALL night long.

Step 3 – Now wrap the area with a long bandage of some kind, anything that will keep your wrap in place. Be sure to cover the plastic completely.
 
Secure it well and you’re ready to hit the sack! 
This particular time I lost a half inch off my middle
and I LOVED the result!
Let me know how it goes for you!
I originally published this as a guest at I Heart Nap Time on June 2, 2013 {click here}.

46 comments:

  1. AHHHH-Mazing!!! You are awesome, so full of great ideas, totally gonna do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying this tonight, and not only am I using lotion, but on my big trouble spots I also put PrepH. Hope I get decent results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought to use that. Let me know how it goes! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed a better difference on the spots I used the PrepH. Didnt use much because that was prescription grade stuff from when my son was born. Next time I will use a cheaper brand and use more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! Thanks for sharing AND for stopping by. =)

      Delete
    2. would this work with your thighs also?

      Delete
  5. Can you use lotion that contains aloe? Would that also work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It's the combination of lotion and plastic that does the trick. =)

      Delete
  6. I tried this last night but woke up in the middle of the night itching like crazy!! And I took it off :/ did this happen to anyone else??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry! That's the first occurrence I've been told about. Try changing your lotion or wrap it less tightly next time. Hoping you get awesome results!

      Delete
    2. I'll try both of those things tonight. Well see how it goes! :)

      Delete
    3. It did that for me at first but I wrapped it again and added more lotion. Don't have whatever you're covering the plastic with too tight!

      Delete
  7. What if you don't have a wrap and you cant buy one is there anything else you could use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything you have on-hand that will help keep it in place is fine: a scarf, a tight shirt, maybe a swimsuit would even suffice. Good luck! =)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It has for me so far it feels tighter and firmenr im using it w nivea skin firming and toning cream

      Delete
  9. How soon can you take a shower?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that looks amazing. I won a body wrap in Toronto for my wedding. Would you recommend a professional salon for a first timer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is strictly a DIY wrap that you can do at home for much less money than a professional wrap. However, the results will absolutely vary. =)

      Delete
  11. I didn't lose anything over ??? What am I not doin right... I wore it for the whole day... where I was outside. .. n all night no different

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the trick is relax in bed dont move and not to tight but not to loose... enough to squeeze and enough to breath

      Delete
  12. Oooh, body wraps! I've been getting some mixed vibes from various bloggers about body wrapping, but I think this method can really be effective. I've asked a friend who've tried it out and she seems satisfied with the results. However, one thing that contributed most to its effectivity is that she accompanied it with supplemental measures, like eating a fat-free and low-carb diet and taking up some area-focused exercises. Anyway, I think that method you have there is very breezy, not to mention the steps you've highlighted are very simple and quite easy to follow. More power to you and your blog!

    Dr. Kenneth Sanders @ Knight And Sanders

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very curious to see how well these do compared to our body wraps! I think I may have to try this!
    http://thenaturalbodywrap.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. You mean I can get thin without dieting or working out??? Sold! I will definitely be trying this. Jennifer Brady | http://www.crazywraplife.com/the_wrap.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a quick, temporary fix for water weight.

      Delete
  15. How often can you do this body wrap? Does it work just as well if you wear it during the day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do this daily. The only reason I wear mine at night is because it's a little bulky and would probably need constant adjusting throughout the day.

      Delete
  16. Could you use coconut oil instead of lotion?

    ReplyDelete
  17. If this is weight loss for just water weight...will I gain back weight when I start drinking water on the day of? HOw long until water weight gains back?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can you use press and seal instead of plastic wrap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats more expensive got the $1 from heb works great but if you want sure you can use it

      Delete
  19. Can you use different sort of lotion like body butter with vitamin a b & c or ocean lotion?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Worked great for me! I didn't have the bandage wrap and went with out and let the wrap stick to itself. It stayed on fine throughout the night, and I lost over an inch!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So u can use any lotion ? Even bath and body ones?? And when u do lose it does it stay off or do u have to keep doing it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. So u can use any lotion ? Even bath and body ones?? And when u do lose it does it stay off or do u have to keep doing it?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can you use it daily or just once a week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! You can do this as often as you'd like. Thanks for asking!

      Delete