Monday, July 15, 2013

Cheater Fry Bread

When I was a kid, my grandma used to make fry bread
{she called them Belly Sinkers}.
I LOVE THEM
but I cannot bake bread to save my life.
 
Enter: My Secret to Simple Fry Bread!
You're probably realizing that I'm more of
a homeFAKER
than a homeMAKER
but it works for me! =)
 
When my family wants belly sinkers,
we're ready for them NOW,
not after hours of making bread dough!
 
This is much faster than the traditional method
AND makes exactly as many as you want!
WIN-WIN!
 
So, here's how we do it.
You only need 2 ingredients:
Frozen rolls and Vegetable oil
 
First, pour some oil into a saucepan and
place on your stove over medium heat.
The one I used is a 4.5qt and I filled it 2/3 full.
 
Next, place 4 frozen rolls on a paper plate.
Put them in the microwave on high for 45 seconds.
(Any longer and they will start to cook!)
 
The rolls should be soft and squishy.
 
Using a rolling pin, flatten each roll.
These are about the size of a saucer. If you'd like larger
fry bread, buy Rhodes Texas size rolls.
 
Before putting dough into oil, test your oil readiness
by sprinkling a couple drops of water into the pan.
If it bubbles and pops, it's ready to cook!
 
Slide one flattened roll into the hot oil.
Let it fry for 30-45 seconds.
 
Flip it over using tongs to fry the other side.
 
Once done, place on paper-towel-covered plate
to absorb any excess oil.
 
Continue to add layers of paper towels
and fry bread until you've made enough.
Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
 
Some of our favorites are
jam, syrup, honey, or powdered sugar.
These are also part of a main dish I make
 
What will you put on yours?
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment